We are in the Ligurian east, in Recco and more precisely in Mulinetti. The town probably arose in the Middle Ages, a period in which along the Ligurian Riviera the first settlements of Benedictine monks were formed, who spread the cultivation of olive oil and vine. The toponymy of the locality Mulinetti evokes the presence of two hydraulic mills, located in the valley of the rio Sonega, used to operate the grinders and presses of the mills, still present and powered by electricity.
Recco, on the other hand, is located on the banks of the homonymous torrent, by the sea, has origins lost in paganism.
The Romans, after several struggles, managed to impose their will on the original tribe of the Casmoriti; therefore arose “Recina”, an important castrum along the Via Aurelia.
The entrance of Recco (da Ruta) is an old print of the last century.
The arch above the Via Aurelia, the moat of the Rio Treganega, the parish Historians and scholars say that this locality, crossed by the Roman consular way, built by the will of the consul M. Emilio Scauro around the year 670 BC, may correspond to the present Recco.
A testimony of the ancient origins of Recco is preserved in the church of Polanesi, which is accessed by means of a mule in Megli, or by a road starting from Via Aurelia.
In this small church is preserved a cinerary urn dating back to pagan times that was found during the enlargement of the church. On that urn is an inscription, which says:
“D.M. AGATHEMERO ET AVTVVHET ALVINIS B.M CN. LVCRETIVS LVCRETIANVS”
(Agli Dei Mani di Buingiorno e di Fortunato alunni benemeriti Gneo Lucrezio Lucreziano)
Durante i “secoli bui”, ossia nell’Alto Medioevo, Recco, con Rapallo, Uscio e Camogli, costituisce una delle famose quattro Pievi, assegnate in dotazione al vescovo di Milano da quello di Genova, profugo nel capoluogo ligure, durante l’invasione longobarda; a tale periodo storico appartiene l’Arcivescovo, proclamato Santo, Giovanni Bono.
Ritroviamo traccia di questo passaggio della vita cittadina nella celebrazione del Carnevale, che cade la prima domenica di Quaresima, secondo il rito ambrosiano.
Many vicissitudes crossed the town linked politically and commercially with the city of Genoa, both in the Middle Ages and in modern history.
Around 1200 Recco passes under the jurisdiction first of the Municipality and then of the Republic of Genoa; in the first half of the fifteenth century, Admiral Biagio Assereto, to lead the Genoese fleet against the Aragonese.
To threaten the relative tranquility comes a new enemy: in 1557 and 1646 the Saracen corsairs burst between the houses, bringing mourning and devastation. The many watchtowers could not stop the attacks of the raiders, which led the tenacious inhabitants to devote themselves to the art of shipbuilding and navigation.
The annals recall the exploits of the great Nicoloso of Recco, who not only arrived in the Canary Islands but also was one of the most important precursors of the Atlantic adventure of Christopher Columbus.
Confusing sepia-colored photographs testify to the existence of important construction sites that stood up to the last century on the coast. The shipwrights built sailing ships of even a thousand tons of gross tonnage; they were sought for their exceptional nautical skills. Even this activity declined almost suddenly: starting from 1880 the shipyards moved to nearby Genoa. Recco discovers a new vocation, soon becoming the center of trade for the entire Paradise Gulf.
During the last world war, it suffered devastation and mourning because of air raids, which almost completely destroyed the town, making disappear forever evidence of its ancient origin.
The post-war history is today’s history: a very rapid reconstruction, the development of commercial activities, the discovery of the gastronomic character, recognized in all over the world and the 33 Water Polo championships obtained by the Pro Recco Water Polo team, we are proud to be part of these lands!
Only a part of the ancient “Via Romana” remains, which still retains this denomination.
In memory of this devastation, the President of the Republic, Oscar Luigi Scalfaro, awarded the City Hall with a Gold Medal of Civil Merit, deposing a memorial plaque in 1993 in the atrium of the Municipal Palace. The President of the Republic Carlo Azeglio Ciampi with D.P.R. 08/09/2000 has awarded the municipality of Recco the title of City.
Today Recco, crossed by the railway, by Via Aurelia, by the Genoa-Sestri Levante Motorway connected to its center with the road 333, has become a modern residential center, frequented in summer by numerous residents, swimmers and tourists, if you come by here come and visit us and stop to taste some delicacies in our super restaurants!
Taken from the site of the municipality of Recco. The historical photos and the history of Recco are taken from the book “Obiettivo su Recco. Una storia in 1000 foto” by S. Pellegrini and E. Razeto